Thursday, April 11, 2019

A No-Improvement Project

Not all home improvement projects go as planned. Honestly, all of the time we're just winging it when we build something or install something else. Sure, I look around, see what I like, pin 102 ideas on Pinterest, but when it comes down to it... we're not really into following directions unless they come in the box.

My favorite projects around the house are quick, cheap changes that make an impact. I like being able to use what we have before buying something new if possible. Why replace a perfectly functional vanity if it's still in good shape? All bets are off though if there's a pedestal sink though, because those things are just pointless! I digress.

I seriously hate replacing light fixtures. Unless we're talking a chandelier, which will seriously change the look of the room, or an outside light, because light fixtures just aren't really something I LOOK at. So, I try to leave them alone, as long as they are working. Well, I have a plan for the kids' upstairs bathroom, and found these beauties at Lowe's. New light pendants! This is such an easy way to update a light fixture without replacing it and getting your husband electrocuted! (I've replaced them in the kitchen of each house.)



So, I picked up the new pendant covers for about $9.00 each. I knew that I needed 3 of them, not because I counted, but because I looked up our listing photos on Zillow while standing in front of the fixtures in Lowe's.


They have a huge selection, but I thought these would be a fun change from glass. I'm planning a black and white theme in the kids' bathroom, and already have black hooks for towels and a large sign I bought from a local store. ANYWAY! I was really excited to swap these out for an instant change!
Side note: If you don't have a 3 step step-stool, you need one. So much easier than moving a ladder around and great for a plethora of projects!


Well... to my surprise... our bathroom fixtures - yes, ALL of them - are different than ones that I've previously encountered. The pendant actually has to fit inside of it and then screws hold it on; unlike most pendants where the pendant has a "screw" in the middle that holds it around the lightbulb socket.

They don't fit!! Urgh. Then, we discovered Menard's and I found some cute glass covers that were a great alternative!! And - OMG - they had the little glass lip around them that the fixture's screws go into!! AND - they were only $3.00?!



I snagged 3 and booked it home to win the battle with the light fixture!! But, I lost. The rim on these are too wide to fit inside. So, as much as I don't like replacing light fixtures... we're going to get really good at it.

Not everything goes as planned for every home improvement project. Luckily we just discovered Menard's and they have an amazing lighting section! Sorry Justin.

No comments:

Post a Comment